Welcome

Welcome to Calliope's Coffee House the proprietor of this establishment is Jacquie Reaville better known as The Book Imp.

When I started this place it was primarily for book reviews and thoughts on all things literary. Well the book reviews are still here, but somehow it's grown into a place for me and others to practice short fictional writing and of course a place where I can give my thoughts and opinions on virtually any subject that might take my fancy.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Just to add that I welcome comments, the more the merrier. They don't even have to be related to books or writing just go wild (not too wild though).

Permissions are set so that even anonymous users can answer - but comment moderation is in effect which means I get to say yes or no to letting them appear here.

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Book Review: The Magic Cottage by James Herbert

ISBN: 0 330 37625 X
Publisher: Pan Books an imprint of Macmillan Publishers Ltd
Website: www.panmacmillan.com
Copyright © James Herbert 1986
393 Pages, Paperback

I was expecting a horror story, as James Herbert is pretty famous for those, but I didn’t really get one with this book. I wasn’t disappointed though I just had to switch my expectations to another track.

Mike Stringer, the narrator of this tale, and his partner Midge (Margaret) Gudgeon relocate from busy London to the countryside, close to the New Forest. Their new home is Gramarye, a run down cottage set in woodland and close to the village of Cantrip. Odd though it may seem when they eventually move in, but the cottage wasn’t in such disrepair as they first thought, and the woodland animals are all so very friendly, almost tame.

Life is good, but there are bad times coming. The people from the Synergist Temple begin to call. The vicar from Cantrip comes with dire warnings. And just who exactly is that dark figure who keeps watching the house?

This was an enjoyable and easy read for me. Having read most of James Herbert’s books old and new I wasn’t surprised that the story greeted me like an old friend. Characters were funny and real, even the ones that weren’t human.

The story runs along and takes you with it, there are twists and turns but you can usually see them coming so they don’t come as any great surprise. An easy read but not one to stay in the mind after it’s finished and put back on the book shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments so please feel free to leave a message, the site allows Anonymous users but comment moderation is in effect. Which means I get to vet what you've written before it appears on the page (Oh the power!).

About Me

My photo
Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
My name is Jac, Jacquie, Jacquelynn, TheBookImp or just Imp. I live in the UK. I love to read as is probably obvious. I also like to write. Anything else you would like to know just ask.

Currently Reading



The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Book Reviews


Click for all the book reviews on this site.

Blog Archive

Followers

Recent Comments