Welcome

Welcome to Calliope's Coffee House the proprietor of this establishment is Jacquie Reaville better known as The Book Imp.

When I started this place it was primarily for book reviews and thoughts on all things literary. Well the book reviews are still here, but somehow it's grown into a place for me and others to practice short fictional writing and of course a place where I can give my thoughts and opinions on virtually any subject that might take my fancy.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Just to add that I welcome comments, the more the merrier. They don't even have to be related to books or writing just go wild (not too wild though).

Permissions are set so that even anonymous users can answer - but comment moderation is in effect which means I get to say yes or no to letting them appear here.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Book Review for Malarkey by Keith Gray

ISBN: 0 09 9439441
Publisher: A Red Fox Book by Random House Children's Books
Website: www.kidsatrandomhouse.co.uk
Copyright © Keith Gray 2003
Author Website: keith-gray.com
197 Pages, Paperback

"The wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time"… John Malarkey, 16 years old, two weeks at a new school, mid-term, and his life seems to fall apart. With the threat of exclusion and worse hanging over him, he moves through the periphery of school life trying to work out the who, the why and most importantly for him the "why me?".

Set in the English school system and describing budding teenage gangsters, bullying, money making schemes and a teaching staff that has little time to listen and even less idea as to what is going on under their noses.

The characters, plot and descriptions are so well written and believable and most especially the narrative of John Malarkey as he spends 24 hours trying to clear himself of the crimes he has been falsely accused.

This story is enthralling. I could not stop reading and was disappointed when it finally came to an end, because it came to an end! I just wanted it to go on and on. A very good read in the Adolescent/Young Adult genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments so please feel free to leave a message, the site allows Anonymous users but comment moderation is in effect. Which means I get to vet what you've written before it appears on the page (Oh the power!).

About Me

My photo
Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
My name is Jac, Jacquie, Jacquelynn, TheBookImp or just Imp. I live in the UK. I love to read as is probably obvious. I also like to write. Anything else you would like to know just ask.

Currently Reading



The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Book Reviews


Click for all the book reviews on this site.

Blog Archive

Followers

Recent Comments