Welcome

Welcome to Calliope's Coffee House the proprietor of this establishment is Jacquie Reaville better known as The Book Imp.

When I started this place it was primarily for book reviews and thoughts on all things literary. Well the book reviews are still here, but somehow it's grown into a place for me and others to practice short fictional writing and of course a place where I can give my thoughts and opinions on virtually any subject that might take my fancy.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Just to add that I welcome comments, the more the merrier. They don't even have to be related to books or writing just go wild (not too wild though).

Permissions are set so that even anonymous users can answer - but comment moderation is in effect which means I get to say yes or no to letting them appear here.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tuesday Thingers: Common Knowledge

Thanks to Wendi at Wendi's Book Corner for this week's question.

Question:

A few weeks ago, someone told me about the Common Knowledge feature of Library Thing. The statistics and basic information can be found through a link at the bottom of any page. Currently there are over 869,540 facts that have been entered. How do they get there? We add them!

It took me a while to figure out that you enter them from the book or author page. When you have a book or author page pulled up, if you look at the left hand side, there are a bunch of links you can choose from. One of them is Common Knowledge. If you click the link, it will bring up a section where you can add facts.

Have you ever looked at the Common Knowledge page, or viewed the history of changes/additions? If you were aware of this section, have you added any information? Do you find this information useful or interesting?

Answer:

I love Common Knowledge, I've been adding details for months on and off. Mostly I add series information, dates of publication and if I really get into the swing of it I add characters and locations. I find the whole thing extremely interesting.

However, there's always an however with me, the thing that annoys is people will come along and add something without looking at what others have added previously, so you can get conflicting info. I think some LTrs don't realise that Common Knowledge is site wide rather than being just for their personal library.

2 comments:

  1. I don't use LT very much but this sounds interesting... I'm going to go look for it now :)

    http://lookatthatbook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to be of service! Actually LT is usually my first stop for book stuff more so than amazon these days, unless I'm intending to buy a book I know all about of course.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments so please feel free to leave a message, the site allows Anonymous users but comment moderation is in effect. Which means I get to vet what you've written before it appears on the page (Oh the power!).

About Me

My photo
Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
My name is Jac, Jacquie, Jacquelynn, TheBookImp or just Imp. I live in the UK. I love to read as is probably obvious. I also like to write. Anything else you would like to know just ask.

Currently Reading



The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Book Reviews


Click for all the book reviews on this site.

Blog Archive

Followers

Recent Comments