Welcome

Welcome to Calliope's Coffee House the proprietor of this establishment is Jacquie Reaville better known as The Book Imp.

When I started this place it was primarily for book reviews and thoughts on all things literary. Well the book reviews are still here, but somehow it's grown into a place for me and others to practice short fictional writing and of course a place where I can give my thoughts and opinions on virtually any subject that might take my fancy.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Just to add that I welcome comments, the more the merrier. They don't even have to be related to books or writing just go wild (not too wild though).

Permissions are set so that even anonymous users can answer - but comment moderation is in effect which means I get to say yes or no to letting them appear here.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Book Review: Wit’ch Fire by James Clemens

ISBN: 1841491500
Publisher: Orbit an imprint of Time Warner Books UK
Website: orbitbooks
Copyright © Jim Czajkowski 1998
Author Website: www.jamesclemens.com
496 Pages, Paperback
Genre: Fantasy

This is the first in a five book fantasy series set in Alasea. It tells of a world that is bereft of magic powerful enough to combat the evil of the Dark Lord of Gul'gotha and his minions. For 500 years Alasea and its people have been under the rule of the Gul'gothan hoards, unable to break free, until finally they did not even remember that life had been different to how it was now. That is except for the whispered stories told as fables and legends of the last Mages and their final sacrifice.

Elena, a thirteen year old girl just becoming a woman, is the hope of Alasea though no one but the Dark Lord is aware of it. The story tells of her flight from evil, her loss, her fear and her courage. It tells of the people she meets, sent to help or to hinder. And it tells of the difficult choices that will be hers alone.

I started this book thinking, "Another quest, another battle between good and evil, let's see how it pans out". Well I was impressed. It was James Clemens' first novel and although the plot could have been a well worn rehash of many others, I thought it was well thought out and fresh. Many of the magical aspects of the plot were original and inventive, and strangely enough for a fantasy novel, believable.

I especially liked the characterisation. There are many figures in this story and what I particularly liked was that the evil ones were not always knowingly wicked, and the good not always to be trusted. The relationships were also very well written, so much so that I felt as if I was there with the people, sympathising with or reviling their motives as I came to know them better.

I enjoyed this story so I'm looking forward to continuing the adventure in the next book, and hopefully learning more about the history of Alasea and the different races.

The Banned and the Banished

Book 1 – Wit'ch Fire
Book 2 – Wit'ch Storm
Book 3 – Wit'ch War
Book 4 – Wit'ch Gate
Book 5 – Wit'ch Star

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments so please feel free to leave a message, the site allows Anonymous users but comment moderation is in effect. Which means I get to vet what you've written before it appears on the page (Oh the power!).

About Me

My photo
Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
My name is Jac, Jacquie, Jacquelynn, TheBookImp or just Imp. I live in the UK. I love to read as is probably obvious. I also like to write. Anything else you would like to know just ask.

Currently Reading



The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Book Reviews


Click for all the book reviews on this site.

Blog Archive

Followers

Recent Comments