Welcome

Welcome to Calliope's Coffee House the proprietor of this establishment is Jacquie Reaville better known as The Book Imp.

When I started this place it was primarily for book reviews and thoughts on all things literary. Well the book reviews are still here, but somehow it's grown into a place for me and others to practice short fictional writing and of course a place where I can give my thoughts and opinions on virtually any subject that might take my fancy.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Just to add that I welcome comments, the more the merrier. They don't even have to be related to books or writing just go wild (not too wild though).

Permissions are set so that even anonymous users can answer - but comment moderation is in effect which means I get to say yes or no to letting them appear here.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Tuesday Thingers: Tag or Not

"Do you tag? How do you tag? How do you feel about tagging- do you think it would be better to have standardized tags, like libraries have standardized subject headings, or do you like the individualized nature of tagging? What are your top 5 tags and what do they say about your collection or your reading habits?"

I tag for my own benefit, I also use private comments and ordinary comments, though I'm in the process of re-organising my catalogue at present. Anything I can think of that helps me categorize my books I'll use as a tag, so I have author-male, female, english, american, french etc and then there's when the book was written, when the book was first published, whether it's hardcover or paperback, if it's part of a series, what number in the series, the time and location of the setting of the book, important characters, and of course then there's the genre and whether it's fiction or non-fiction.

I tag on my blogs too, it's easier to set up links if you tag on blogger. Of course I'm a bit obsessive but that's just me. Things I care about, like books, I obsess about normally offline too.

I wouldn't like standardised tags, I'm a bit of a rebel and would want to go my own way, so as far as I'm concerned it's fine just the way it is.

My top 5 tags in order of frequency are fiction, owned, paperback, author-male and to my shame, to be reviewed. All of them are over 300 except to be reviewed which is 298. The only thing I can say in my defence is that I only started to review in March this year.

20 comments:

  1. Oh, the pressure! I have to write the review before I move on to another book, or I'll be foggy on themes and specific likes and dislikes (even with notes).

    Are you planning to re-read already read books (that was a lot of "read"s!), or are these all "to be read and reviewed" books?

    I like the "male" and "female" author tags; I may incorporate that going forward, thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of them are to be read and reviewed, umm well a lot of them are, there are quite a few that I'll have to re-read but they were read a long time ago.

    As soon as I started to review I realised that I'd have to write them fairly quickly after reading. The most I've done in one sitting is four and I was pulling my hair out. So never again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit I like to tag. Although, also have to admit I have redone my several times while I was figuring out the most efficient method that works for me.

    I see tags, or in blogging terms "labels", as a way of creating an index for my site.

    So now they must adhere to specific labels that suit me but also make it easier for others to navigate and/or find specific things on my blog.

    That being said, I don't agree with standardized tags unless you are dealing with an entity like a library or a bookstore, as you do want to keep it simple to use.

    I use my blogging labels alphabetically since to me it is my site index. This is how my tags are categorized:
    Book reviews by rating
    Book reviews by authors last name
    Challenges by name
    Memes by name
    Journalling or Personal

    This was a great question. Thanks for asking it. Makes you really think about what you do and how important even the little decisions you make about your blog affect it overall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I give you props for tagging your TBRs. I'm too afraid to even commit.
    I love your suggestion about author male/female. The way you tag, you could easily do some analysis if someone were to ask which you read more of. I'd have to actually read through the titles of all my reviews and keep hash marks. I may have to end up stealing that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brat hi! I'm going to add your site to my blogroll by the way.

    I can't take the credit for asking the question that was Marie at The Boston Bibliophile. If you're interested in other responses you might check out her blog, the link is in the blog roll on the left I think.

    Your answer was great and I like the labels you use on your blog, my reviews are just labeled book review, and the author's name. I think I might have to put the book title in there too at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Literate Housewife Hello! - It just seemed like a good idea to me, not sure why. I'm not really surprised that the majority of my books are written by men though, as a large portion of my collection are those written before 1900. Women are catching up as I seem to be buying more recent books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, if I had To be reviewed, that would number in the hundreds too !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tags are truly impressive! I've only just started to add reviews to LT and hadn't thought of tagging them in my catalogue - as I haven't done many I can easily add it in. I like many of your tags such as the number in the series and important characters and may think about starting to use them too. At this rate I could be spending all my time on LT!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL - I am an obsessive type...but not with tags...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like to use the comments feature, too. It's handy to be able to make a few remarks about a book. I make notes about book club editions, if the book was a gift, and even where I've got it stored. Also good for keeping track of books that are "on loan" somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  11. kbooks - unfortunately I've been updating my LT catalogue today, my To Be Reviewed is now over 500... EEP!

    ReplyDelete
  12. booksplease - I really do try to tag as I go but I'm always remembering one or two that I didn't add in and having to go back, or coming up with a new one. What is this monster I have created?

    ReplyDelete
  13. J. Kaye - Now I'm wondering what you obsess about... something exciting I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  14. jlshall - I think comments are probably the most useful tool for me. I like to keep track of where I bought things, new or used, what condition they were in and of course how much they cost. Especially if they were 3 for 50 pence, when I look at them I can pat myself on the back and say how much money I've saved LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL - books, my kids, posting on my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good for you! Books and blogs for me, my dogs in place of kids and on and on and on...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just wanted to stop by and thank you for visiting The Printed Page.

    Take care,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  18. No problem Marcia, and thank you for your thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never used the private comments. In fact, aside from tagging, I just rate and review. I should start using the other information storing options, since they're there.

    I like how specific your tagging method is. It must make things easier to find when you're looking for a specific book, but can't remember the name. (That would happen to me, I think, if I had more than 300 books to a tag!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I also like the male/female author idea - I may implement that one at some stage. It's a bit daunting to go through more than 1000 books to tag, though ... I think to be reviewed would be overwhelming, on the other hand!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments so please feel free to leave a message, the site allows Anonymous users but comment moderation is in effect. Which means I get to vet what you've written before it appears on the page (Oh the power!).

About Me

My photo
Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
My name is Jac, Jacquie, Jacquelynn, TheBookImp or just Imp. I live in the UK. I love to read as is probably obvious. I also like to write. Anything else you would like to know just ask.

Currently Reading



The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Book Reviews


Click for all the book reviews on this site.

Blog Archive

Followers

Recent Comments